Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sloppy Seconds

I had a disturbing conversation with my mother last night. One I didn't intend to have, but which just happened.

As I may or may not have mentioned, my sister was an interloper on Jack's weekend alone with Grammy and Grandpa a few weeks back. Mom and dad had agreed to come stay with Jack while Osi and I got a much-needed weekend away. Dad made the mistake of calling Melissa to see if D could come spend the night either Friday OR Saturday night. My enterprising sister's response? "How about both nights?" So, Donovan was here literally from about 18 hours after we left to about 10 minutes until we returned. He spent Friday night here and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Now, Donovan gets regular weekends alone with Grammy and Grandpa. Add to that the fact that my mooching sister lived with them until Donovan was 2 (and she could mooch off of someone ELSE) and Donovan gets all kids of one-on-one time with my parents that Jack will NEVER get.

I brought this to my mom's attention and this was her response. "Oh sure Jack will get time alone with us. In a few year's Donovan won;t want anything to do with us."

OK.

So I guess Jack gets the sloppy seconds after Donovan decides that he is no longer interested n Grammy and Grandpa. God forbid and Grammy and Grandpa WANT to spend time with - apparently- the LESSER of heir grandsons.

I am so unbelievably hurt by this conversation that I just don't know what to do. I always knew that mom and dad jump at the scraps Melissa and Mike throw them. But it has never been put so straightforward that they flat out WILL NOT CHOOSE time alone with Jack.

I am hurt and sad and pissed.

Dad;s birthday is in 2 weeks. I don't think we'll be going down. Let them have Melissa and Mike and, apparently their most favorite person in the whole wide world - Donovan.

No comments: