Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Waiting for The Other Shoe

This has been a weird week. A sad week to be sure.

Over the weekend, my good friend Mel received a call that her mom had fallen, broken her hip and had been found unconscious. After several tests at the hospital, doctors found her body wracked with cancer - brain, breast, cervical and then a mass on her spine. To make a very long, sad story short, we are burying Mel's mom tomorrow in Toledo. By the way, the is Mel, who is about 6 months pregnant with her first child.

Secondly, Naomi had to very unexpectedly say goodbye to Attilla. This is the second canine family member in the last 2 weeks that I have had the pleasure of knowing, but who has gone to the Great Dog Park in The Sky. While Frannie's begging is more annoying than ever, she certainly has been cuddled (against her will, I might add) more in the last two weeks. I know her time will come and it makes me very nauseous to think about it.

They say bad things happen in threes. Naomi thinks my trio of bad news is complete with the passing of Mel's mom, Attilla and Snoopy. But I still feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

There has been so much misfortune and sadness surrounding us throughout the last year that I can't help but wonder: When is it our turn? When will all the good karma run out and the bad karma that I believe is stalking our family closely, catch up with us? There seems to be drama and calamity on both sides of the family, and with our friends. How are our seas calm? I don't trust it and it makes me really irrationally fear Jack's testing.

I'm not superstitious by nature, but I do believe in karma. Our has just been too good lately.

No comments: