Thursday, March 20, 2008

Room Mom for a Day...or, Y'Know...an Hour


Happy Purim! What, you don't know what Purim is, you Shiksa Goddess, you? Far be it for me to compare it to Halloween for the little Jews in our lives, but there are definitely costumes and sweets. It is the celebration of the Book of Esther (look it up in the Old Testament). Long story short, she whores it up to save the entire race. Tell me again how this is a kids' holiday?

At any rate, it apparently is. And, as I mentioned before, it involves costumes and, at Jack's school, a parade. So when I took Jack in this morning, I stayed to help out in his room with the parade and (the popular thought was) to bake cookies. I helped get kids dressed, helped lead them into the gym and then stayed for gym class. Jack was a sobbing mess for about 60% of my time there. How dare I let Emmet have the ball that Jack wanted? Well, 'cause Emmet had it first, m'dear boy. That, apparently, is some form of Mommy Treason.

I did manage to sneak a few twirls of the hula hoop with Sam, a few rocks of the seesaw with Delaney and Emelia and a few slides down the mat with Aaron and Matthew in between carrying Jack around. I did get to see him be interactive, which was good, but he was always checking for me out of the corner of his eye.

So, after returning to the class for the morning snack, one hour and 10 minutes into Room Mom for a Day, I bolted. I am such a wimp.

No comments: