Friday, February 29, 2008

JCC Columbus - My Kid is the Non-Kosher Snack

Jack has been bitten 10 times in the last 6 months at the Columbs JCC's "Nationally Accredited Early Childhood Education Program." The director, Barbara Topolosky, thinks this is no big deal. Thank God the Infant/Toddler Coordinator, Nili, is the voice of reason.

I am still having a hard time understanding why, after the 10th bite, I had to go to the administration and say "this is unacceptable." Mrs. Toloposkly signs all of the incident reports - don't you think my kid's name coming up so often would ring a bell? Especially since I raised the warning flag in January? One would think. However, Mrs. T seems to think I am overreacting. Other parents, what do you think?

Nili got the person in charge of classroom observations in Jack's room the day after I talked to her about the last incident. It seems like Jack is spending a lot of time a) by the door and b) by himself, not as a part of the group. This makes my heart so very sad as a Mommy. Why isn't he interacting with the other kids? He seems to play fine with the C.M. bring their kids to play or we play at their houses. Add to this the door obsession and I am going to be freaking all weekend thinking what the hell is wrong with my kid?

I plan on calling the pediatrician on Monday, because the door thing has GOT to stop. A teacher at the JCC who is a friend of our mentioned that she thinks Jack might be getting bitten when he plays with the doors and the other kids try to tell him to stop.

We toured The Goddard School downtown on Thursday and it really does seem top-notch. However, now that we have the classroom observer involved and she s going to work both with Jack, the class in general and the teachers, should we just wait and see what develops? Should we put him in the Goddard School now? I really don;t know what is best. I want to avoid an upheaval and change in schedule, but I also want Jack SAFE.

You buy a $15 toaster and it comes with instructions in 15 languages. A kid, comes with a tiny hat and a "good luck with that." Christ, I wish I had some clue as to the best thing to do.

No comments: