Monday, June 18, 2007

A Week Full of Dread

I have been nabbed. Caught without a good excuse not to have dinner at the SIL's house this coming Sunday. She called Friday and invited us for that night. Luckily, because they eat so late on Fridays, I had an easy excuse - Jack goes to bed kind of early. But Sunday, Oy, Sunday will involve the entire mishpocha (family for all you non-Yiddish speakers out there).

Oh yes, the Detroit Crazies will be in town. This is my nephew, who is my age, his wife, and three kids - ages five to newborn. They are also devoutly Orthodox in their Judaism. My nephew has taken it to a whole new level. Fanaticism is what i choose to call it. He calls it something else altogether. Either way, being raised Catholic, it makes me incredibly uncomfortable to know that he thinks I am the devil incarnate.

I consider myself a fairly open-minded person. So radicals or extremists of any sort make me extremely uncomfortable. I try to open my mind to many different points of view. I know that these people believe their way is the only way - with no room even for discussion - and that makes me twitch. I am unsure how I became related to one of them. I shudder at the thought of sharing a meal with one of them (the wife and kids aren't as bad...yet) on Sunday. I don't believe in that kind of single-mindedness. I don't want to be around it and I don't want J exposed to it. How do explain that to your family? Especially when they'll see it as anit-semitism when it is actually anti-single-mindenessism.

That's a toughy.

It's Monday now. Is it too early to call in sick for this shindig?

No comments: