Monday, September 17, 2007

High on the Holidays

Oy Gevalt! It's High Holy Days time again! Jack celebrated his second Hebrew birthday on Erev Rosh Hashanah (that would be last Wednesdays for all you shiksas out there). And by "celebrated" I mean that he had ravioli for dinner and promptly got stuck in Temple's babysitting room while Osi and I attended services.

I did my first candle-lighting for a pre-holiday dinner. God bless the Crabills for not laughing. My Hebrew, as you can imagine, is not so good. We are currently seeking a babysitter so Osi and I can go to services and break-the-fast on Yom Kipur. If you know anyone, send them our way. Since OSU plays at 3:30, all of our "usuals" are tied up watching he game.

We're invited to the Delsons for break-the-(nonexistent)-fast, which thrills me to no end. The reason I am trying to be so active in Sisterhood is to develop a network that supports our family and our raising Jack as a Jew. Lord knows that network ain't his sisters, since they don't think Osi is "Jewish enough" and don't think Jack is Jewish at all. Thank God for the Crabills (again), Coopers, Delsons and everyone else who is welcoming.

By the way, for those of you who have not tried the Rosh Hashanah tradition of dipping apples in honey - YOU MUST! It is the most delicious snack ever. We had an abundance of apples from our pre-holiday apple-picking adventure (Jack used the fallen apples as balls - we had to dodge them to pick the good apples). So, the baking maven that I am, I whipped up an apple crisp, upside down apple cake, three pies and some baked apples. See, I told you we had a lot of apples. One pie went to Barbi's, another we ate and one is in the freezer. I didn't think it was wise to accept the thrown gauntlet of "Can we eat three pies?" I heard ob the Builder in my head urging "YES WE CAN!" But we shouldn't, hence the parceling out of said pastries.

We are in the season of Jewish Holidays, so I don;t expect to poke my head above water again for a few weeks. Happy Jewish New Year to you :)

1 comment:

smarmygal said...

I think it's the same as Christinas celebrating Christmas in December - which I do. Since I'm not actually Jewish (but my husband is, and we are raising our son in the religion), I don't have any opinion on the matter other than some people can find a way to make any ritual, rite, holiday or celbration a "pagan celebration."